If you’re new to North Carolina, you might think this great state has little problems with blizzards . You’d be wrong: snowfall of up to 41 inches have been recorded and temperatures have dropped as low as -34 degrees Fahrenheit. That’s why we at Cross Creek Insurance are offering this advice, as blizzards can cause a variety of damage can seriously impact your home.
Damage That Can Occur
When a blizzard hits your home, wind will likely push trees and telephone poles around in your yard, potentially causing them to fall on your home. It might even blow windows out of your house. Obviously, snow is another major problem, as heavy amounts can damage your roof and windows.
However, blizzards in Hope Hills, NC often come accompanied with heavy amounts of ice that can stick to your home’s exterior and damage it or create ice dams in your gutters. Last, but not least, extremely cold temperatures may cause cracks in your home’s windows or siding.
Preparing Is Crucial
Before a winter storm hits, you need to make sure your home is prepared well in advance by performing these simple steps:
- Shovel the snow off your roof before the storm – an average roof can support 20 pounds of snow per square foot
- Break up ice dams in your gutter
- Remove any dead trees from your yard and trim dead branches and limbs
- Seal your doors and windows to keep in heat – particularly crucial if the electricity goes out
- Wrap insulation around your pipes to keep them from bursting
Protect Your Home From Damage
While blizzards are rarely as severe as this in Hope Hills, NC, you never know when things will get more serious. That’s why home insurance is so necessary: it will help cover most, if not all, of your home repair costs after a blizzard. Please contact us at Cross Creek Insurance to learn more.