What Umbrella Insurance Covers That a General Policy Won’t

Umbrella insurance is separate from a general insurance policy and helps to cover liability and damages- picking up the slack where a general insurance policy stops- or covering what that policy won’t. An umbrella policy is an important part of protecting yourself, home or business from unforeseen circumstances that can negatively and financially impact your life, including: lawsuits, injuries, theft, natural disasters and much more.

If you are interested in getting an umbrella policy, 1st American Insurance Agency in Longmont, CO is here to walk you through the process. So, let’s consider what exactly is covered in an umbrella policy and why it is important to have in addition to a basic policy.   

What Will an Umbrella Policy Cover?

Remember, an umbrella policy is separate, additional liability coverage and can be for your home, automobile, boat, business or other property. Coverage includes legal situations- including fees and damages if you are found liable-rental property coverage, injuries and other, unexpected situations that may arise.

How do I Know if my General Policy isn’t Enough?

As an umbrella policy provides additional coverage, it is a back up to your general policy to cover what it won’t. In example, if you have $200,000 worth of liability coverage on your general policy and you are sued and found liable to pay $300,000, your general policy won’t cover that.  General insurance policies will only cover your own property damage or physical injuries- not others’. This is where you can avoid going bankrupt having to come up with the money out-of-pocket. Umbrella insurance includes at-fault damages and will keep you protected.

Having an umbrella policy is that added reassurance that your property is safe and that you are protecting your family and business from future potential losses. Avoid the headache of working with the unknown and protect yourself in advance with an umbrella insurance policy. 

Do you Need Both Auto and RV Insurance?

When it comes to RV’s and other campers that you use to recreate, there are some specific insurance considerations that you need to keep in mind. Though it might seem simple enough, RV insurance is not something that everyone can understand clearly and it may cause some issue when finding the policy that is going to be right for you. For those that live in the Arvada, CO area, the agents with Alliance Insurance Services can help you determine what insurance coverage is going to be right for you no matter what sort of RV you have.

A great place to start is to look at whether or not your auto insurance is going to cover your RV should it become damaged or destroyed while on the road. There is a simple way to answer this question. For starters, those RVs that can be towed behind a vehicle are going to be covered on your auto policy as they are not vehicles that can be driven on their own. They are instead vehicles that are reliant on your car to be able to move. This means that they can be considered an extension of your car and can be covered on your simple auto policy.

If you have an RV however that can drive on its own, you may want to have a separate RV policy to cover the RV without having to tack it onto your auto policy. In many cases, your RV is going to be covered just find on your auto policy and you may not need to worry about having a separate policy. In any case, if you live in or around the Arvada, CO area, the agents with Alliance Insurance Services are going to be able to answer any questions you may have and create the perfect RV or auto policy.

Should I Call a Contractor Before or After Filing a Home Insurance Claim?

If your home was damaged, you may find yourself wondering whether you should file a homeowners insurance claim or contact a contractor first. This is a question that many people ask us at Cross Creek Insurance, serving the greater Hope Hills, NC area. Here is some information you will want to know if you are facing this scenario. 

Who Should You Call First? 

If you are unsure as to how much damage has been done or the costs of the damage, it is fine to call a contractor first. Many people obtain estimates before filing a claim because they are not sure if the total cost of repairs will exceed their deductible. However, if you contact a contractor for an estimate, always be sure to have it done in a timely manner. You will want to file a homeowners insurance claim as quickly as possible. If you know that you will be filing a home insurance claim, or you cannot get an estimate within a day or two, it is best to file a claim and wait for estimates from contractors. This helps to ensure that your claim is processed in a timely manner. 

Having the right home insurance policy in place is important just in case you ever need to file a claim. If it has been a few years since your home insurance policy was looked at and had changes made, it may be time to reevaluate your policy limits and your current policy. Bring your policy to Cross Creek Insurance, serving the Hope Hills, NC area today. We can look at and determine if your policy limits still meet your needs or if it is time for a new policy. 

Will car insurance pay for water damage?

When floods occur or simply leaks in your car from the rain, water damage can majorly damage the interior of your vehicle. If the flooding is severe enough, it can damage major components like the engine or battery. If you have a comprehensive car insurance plan, you may be covered for water damage. If you live in Hope Hills, NC, consult with Cross Creek Insurance to see if they have comprehensive plans to cover water damage.

Preventing Water Damage

Even though your comprehensive insurance plan may cover water damage to your car, you should still be diligent enough to take precautions to secure your vehicle. If you are too negligent, you may find yourself having your claim contested in some instances. Make sure that any sunroofs, windows, or doors are adequately sealed and it should be replaced periodically. Also get in the habit of rolling up your windows when you leave your car.

You should also keep in mind that many comprehensive plans don’t want to cover any external or unattached equipment in your vehicle. This may include things like sound equipment, GPS devices, or electronic equipment stored in the vehile. Plans may also require you to pay out of pocket before contributing to the cost of damages. There are also limits to comprehensive plans that cover water damage, so make sure that you take care of your vehicle to prevent grave damage.

Considering the natural disasters that may occur living near the ocean, it is a good idea to have an insurance plan that includes water damage. Consult with an agent at Cross Creek Insurance if you live in the Hope Hills, NC area. Coverage may vary depending on your type of vehicle, its age, and your current auto insurance plan.