Should I Call a Contractor Before or After Filing a Home Insurance Claim?

If your home was damaged, you may find yourself wondering whether you should file a homeowners insurance claim or contact a contractor first. This is a question that many people ask us at Cross Creek Insurance, serving the greater Hope Hills, NC area. Here is some information you will want to know if you are facing this scenario. 

Who Should You Call First? 

If you are unsure as to how much damage has been done or the costs of the damage, it is fine to call a contractor first. Many people obtain estimates before filing a claim because they are not sure if the total cost of repairs will exceed their deductible. However, if you contact a contractor for an estimate, always be sure to have it done in a timely manner. You will want to file a homeowners insurance claim as quickly as possible. If you know that you will be filing a home insurance claim, or you cannot get an estimate within a day or two, it is best to file a claim and wait for estimates from contractors. This helps to ensure that your claim is processed in a timely manner. 

Having the right home insurance policy in place is important just in case you ever need to file a claim. If it has been a few years since your home insurance policy was looked at and had changes made, it may be time to reevaluate your policy limits and your current policy. Bring your policy to Cross Creek Insurance, serving the Hope Hills, NC area today. We can look at and determine if your policy limits still meet your needs or if it is time for a new policy.